[Korea-chapter] Jan 2013 H-Anim Teleconference minutes

eosocxo at comcast.net eosocxo at comcast.net
Sat Jan 19 21:40:10 PST 2013

Myeong Won Lee (Chair), Dick Puk, Joe Williams and William Glascoe (Co-Chair)  teleconferenced from 2000 - 2230 hrs Eastern,  Thursday, 03 Jan 2013

Myeong discussed her group's content creation process. They use the skelton and skin together in their process.

Joe described how a couple of the H-Anim specification nodes ( skin coord index and skin coord weight) worked. We referenced a H-Anim file Joe provided with a lot of vertices in the skin that are all are bounded to a joint that uses a  displacer for moving skin independent of joint motion.

Joe discussed the Level of Articulation 3 ( LOA3) skelton's joints movement and its design rationale. We referred to the skin animation in the same H-Anim file he provided (the running human) to illustrate his points about  joint translation and rotation.

Joe discussed  which nodes his used in the H-Anim file we referenced. He shared his observations of others' H-Anim files where their skin was n't built in skelton space. They were built in "skin space". Joe reminded us the skin that Sandy Ressler built is 40 times larger than a normal adult (i.e., an 80- meter tall   human ). There are 30,000 vertices used in that character--too many to connect. The only way to use it is to bind to the joints some how.

Binding textured geometry to the segments. But we want a realistic moving skin. In the skin node, ...face set... Most of these are called "skull tip".

That other skelton is approximate 1.77 meters tall. Joe thinks it's important to build a skin in skelton space to avoid a lot of transformations.

If Joe's skin points correspond to his feature points then he has  a realistic character.

Joe's approach is c lose to MoCap. Some of the MoCap he has  seen  doesn't worry about the skin. Authors create the skelton and put any skin on it they want.

Willian discussed his relationship with Roger Nelson of motionwerx and suggested Roger and Joe has a conversation about our NWIP.

We assigned members to the NWIP line items and discussed our strategy for soliciting Best Practices from technical sources.

The meeting adjourned at 2230.