[Source] blocker bug: exception for unsupport GL

Alan Hudson giles at yumetech.com
Fri Jan 22 08:10:33 PST 2010

Don Brutzman wrote:
> Various versions of Xj3D won't run on my vista box, apparently
> due to an ATI render bug that locks up the application.
> it looks like Aviatrix is throwing an exception on unsupported
> OpenGL feature(s) and then blocking.
>
> We think this problem might have been fixed in an earlier version
> of Xj3D's aviatrix renderer, but it is definitely a problem now.
>
> for the current release version of Xj3D, there is a console warning
> but no lockup.
>
> ===================================
> Xj3D Version: 2_M1_DEV_2009-05-18
>
> Initializing Browser
> Device found: Mouse-0
> Device found: Keyboard-0
> Warning: Image loaders not available
> System.out: org.web3d.vrml.renderer.common.nodes.shape.useMipMaps set
> to: true
> System.out: loadExternal:
> file:///C:/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/earth-topo.png
> System.out: org.web3d.vrml.renderer.common.nodes.shape.useMipMaps set
> to: true
> Main scene: file:///C:/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HelloWorld.x3d
> loaded.
> System.out: Video card incapable of supporting OpenGL imaging subset.
> Blending disabled.
>
> .. Xj3D then renders the scene OK
> ===================================
>
> The following is a trace of the run errors for a local build,
> launched via ant task run3D which was run within Netbeans 6.8.
> it shows stack trace which might be helpful.  because this locks
> instead of running, it seems to indicate that a bug has crept into
> the xj3d source.
>
> ===================================
> Xj3D Version: 2_M1_DEV_20100121 (utilizing NPS OpenDIS)
>
> Initializing Browser
> Device found: Mouse-0
> Device found: Keyboard-0
> Warning: Image loaders not available
> System.out: org.web3d.vrml.renderer.common.nodes.shape.useMipMaps set
> to: true
> System.out: org.web3d.vrml.renderer.common.nodes.shape.anisotropicDegree
> set to: 2
> System.out: org.web3d.vrml.renderer.common.nodes.shape.useTextureCache
> set to: true
> System.out: loadExternal:
> file:///C:/auv/xj3d-2.0-nps-project/apps/browser/Xj3D-256x256.jpg
> System.out: org.web3d.vrml.renderer.common.nodes.shape.useMipMaps set
> to: true
> Main scene:
> file:///C:/auv/xj3d-2.0-nps-project/apps/browser/moving_box.x3dv loaded.
> System.out: Exception in thread "AV3D Runtime" System.out:
> java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find resource for bundle
> java.util.PropertyResourceBundle, key
> org.j3d.aviatrix3d.BlendAttributes.noImgSubsetMsg
> System.out:     at

its trying to issue the same error message as before but its now
crashing because its been internationalized and the string is not available.

there is a properties file that will need to be updated for this.  I'm
not sure at the moment what that is.  When I get back in town I can poke
around for it.

--
Alan Hudson

President Yumetech, Inc.                               www.yumetech.com
President Web3D Consortium                             www.web3d.org
206 340 8900 ext 111

Open Source CAN be free, as in "free puppy"