[Source] xj3d.org is down; what next?

Alan Hudson alan at shapeways.com
Wed Aug 1 16:18:58 PDT 2012

On 8/1/2012 4:15 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> Unfortunately xj3d.org website appears to be down hard.  This appears
> to have occurred over a week ago.
>
> https://savage.nps.edu/jenkins/job/Xj3dSourceTrunk
> https://savage.nps.edu/jenkins/job/Xj3dSourceNpsBranch
>
> We've had partial but incomplete communication with Alan Hudson about this.
> He mentioned that it might be a problem with paying the ISP and planned
> to find out.  We are hoping this can be sorted out!  Meanwhile it is a
> big problem... here are some candidate options for group consideration.
>
> We are hoping that this might be reconciled promptly, particularly
> since we have a working session planned for Friday 13-1500 pacific time
> down in LA.  We expect to be on email and also the Web3D conference line.
> Meeting details maintained at
> http://web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/Web3D_Working_Group_meetings_at_SIGGRAPH_2012
>
> Possible near-term solutions:
> a. If funds are needed for ISP, pay immediately.  Likely Web3D Consortium or NPS can help.
> b. If someone has a full copy of subversion database, NPS can host until Xj3D.org is restored and then help re-merge.
> c. If change becomes paramount without Xj3D.org, then NPS can stand up subversion of current snapshots (trunk and branch).
>
> Longer-term possibilities, once assets are restored:
> d.  Pay ahead on xj3d.org
> e.  Transition to sourceforge.net which has excellent support/exposure and which Web3D has experience with
> f.  Consider transition to github if someone has experience and it can be shown to be a better fit to community
>
> Other possibilities?  Comments welcome.  Hoping that we can fix soon...
> meanwhile let's consider and converge on plan of action while in LA.
>
> all the best, Don
I've been busy with a deadline,  I'll look into it soon.  We want to
have a real copy of subversion before we move so we get the comments.
Likely that means paying for another year of hosting just to get the
files back.  I thought they charged me for two years last time.  Can't
promise it will be available for the friday session, really depends how
much of a hassle their tech support is.

--
Alan Hudson, Director 3D Tools
www.shapeways.com