[Source] problem with jgeom build, java3d dependency

Alan Hudson alan at shapeways.com
Fri Nov 29 10:38:00 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Rune Aasgard <rune.aasgaard at norkart.no>wrote:

> I added depth sorting to the DefaultPickingHandler and sent it to the
> aviatrix3d-discuss list without receiving any response. It was about two
> years ago, and at the same time I found that Yumetech had disappeared so I
> started to believe the whole project was down the drain.
>
> yea that was a bummer but we moved on.

> So now I am looking into WebGL and Android as client platforms. The lack
> of good libraries and the limited computing power on such platforms makes
> importing structured high-level graphic difficult and we may turn to a
> solution where complex structures are flattened and triangulated
> server-side. What Alan is doing with Xj3D for server side processing sounds
> interesting and I would be very interested in examples and documentation!
>
> I'm using it for processing user uploads for 3D printing at Shapeways.
 While we sometimes render those on the server with Blender or Xj3D we
haven't been doing any server-side real-time rendering like onlive etc.  So
likely not helpful in that regard.

I've been using X3DOM a fair bit recently and pleasantly happy with its
performance.  That said I'm doing single Shape node triangle pushes so its
hard to mess that up.  I suspect in your terrain applications with lots of
shapes and network load/unload it might be a different story.