[Source] problem with jgeom build, java3d dependency

Rune Aasgard rune.aasgaard at norkart.no
Fri Nov 29 10:29:18 PST 2013

I added depth sorting to the DefaultPickingHandler and sent it to the aviatrix3d-discuss list without receiving any response. It was about two years ago, and at the same time I found that Yumetech had disappeared so I started to believe the whole project was down the drain.

My terrain renderer is still working, with the AV3D/Xj3D building model importer, and we are doing visualization projects based on it, but I realize its days are numbered. We lost the Macs a couple of years ago (luckily we only have few Mac customers), but the Windows version of the ancient JOGL version is still running. I'm using JNLP for program deployment, but I have all the jars (also JOGL binaries) transferred to our own servers and re-signed by our own certificates to avoid problems with certificate expiry.

At the same time I see that the confidence in Java as a client platform is falling among the general public. Here in Norway it is kept alive by the common internet banking security and authentication applet, but last year's Java security scandal has filled the news services with "how to avoid java" articles. So when the bank client is changed into something non-java we may have a problem persuading our customers retaining java just for us. It would naturally be a relief to have maintained libraries, so that our current code could have a prolonged life, but I'm not sure how much resources I'll be allowed to put into it.

So now I am looking into WebGL and Android as client platforms. The lack of good libraries and the limited computing power on such platforms makes importing structured high-level graphic difficult and we may turn to a solution where complex structures are flattened and triangulated server-side. What Alan is doing with Xj3D for server side processing sounds interesting and I would be very interested in examples and documentation!

Rune