[X3D-Public] my musings on O3D and JavaScript on the web

Joshua Smith jesmith at kaon.com
Tue Apr 28 06:52:05 PDT 2009

I think that depends on how you define "people".

Interpolators come from the world of "Key Frame Animation" which goes
all the way back to flipping pages with charcoal drawings on them.  So
the concept is immediately familiar to anyone in the "Animation" side
of the world (people who use tools like After Effects, Shake, Flash,
etc.).

But as you rightly point out, interpolators are completely useless
when defining "Simulations".

But you don't have to use them for that, do you?  I'm not VRML/X3d
expert, but can't you set up routes and fire whatever numbers you want
into the scene graph's transform matrices?

Any good 3D scene graph API really should define both, although
technically, you can create interpolators from routes, but you cannot
create routes from interpolators (except in a weird, bounded fashion).

-Joshua