[X3D-Public] Can authoring applications for VRML/X3D do something like this?

John Carlson john.carlson3 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 9 13:19:28 PDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 12:25 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:

> John Carlson wrote:
>> http://wave.google.com/
>
> X3D-Edit has embedded XMPP chat also.  this can be used for message or
> file passing.  Shared file editing is also possible, tho not always
> 100% connected (bug reported to Netbeans team).

I'm somewhat familiar with X3D-Edit's collaborative features.  It
appears like google has created a stored hierarchy that can be
modified by XMPP messages.  Does X3D-Edit store the XML hierarchy, the
text hierarchy (lines of text), or some combination.  I am wondering
if multiple hierarchical views are considered in either system.  I
understand that one view of a hierarchy is a sub-hierarchy.  I also
know that you can take 2 hierarchies and create a new root on top of
both of them.

I guess I'd like to see what google wave could do with editing X3D
xml.  It looks like SVG is already possible.  Doing the whole thing in
a web browser seems amazing.

It is certainly possible that what we are seeing is the culmination of
migration of a lot of desktop apps (email and im) to the web.  When
will netbeans run inside a web browser?