[X3D-Public] packaging browsers for Linux

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue May 5 08:04:27 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 20:00 +0800, Lars O. Grobe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu, one of the popular distros and
> based on Debian, I found that now x3d-browser is available.

s/now/no/ ?

>  For most
> users, this would mean no access to x3d, as they usually install
> anything by their package-manager (which is not a bad idea, as it keeps
> track of updates). Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, but I also did not
> manage to compile FreeWRL.
>
> The authoring tools are better represented, WhiteDune, Blender, all the
> stuff is there...
>
> So I would like to know whether there is any information on getting the
> open-source tool-chain closed to the browser is available - experiences,
> ressources, attempts to compile and such stuff. I would also look into
> projects that need maintainers for distribution binaries.

I package OpenVRML for Fedora.

Debian has an OpenVRML package that seems to be maintained sporadically:

        <http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/openvrml>

I suspect help with it would be welcome.  I'm certainly happy to work
with packagers to make these things happen.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>