[X3D-Public] packaging browsers for Linux

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Tue May 5 06:02:08 PDT 2009

Hi Lars;

Hmmm... One of our maintainers packages FreeWRL for Ubuntu and Debian;
did you try the binary build?

email off-line, and I'll put you in touch with this person, and we'll
see what problems you are having.

On 5-May-09, at 8:00 AM, Lars O. Grobe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I just did a fresh install of Ubuntu, one of the popular distros
> and
> based on Debian, I found that now x3d-browser is available. For most
> users, this would mean no access to x3d, as they usually install
> anything by their package-manager (which is not a bad idea, as it
> keeps
> track of updates). Anyway, I wanted to give it a try, but I also did
> not
> manage to compile FreeWRL.
>
> The authoring tools are better represented, WhiteDune, Blender, all
> the
> stuff is there...
>
> So I would like to know whether there is any information on getting
> the
> open-source tool-chain closed to the browser is available -
> experiences,
> ressources, attempts to compile and such stuff. I would also look into
> projects that need maintainers for distribution binaries.

John A. Stewart
Team Leader: Networked Virtual Reality
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
         Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
          Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
          Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca