[X3D-Public] x3dom announcment

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Sun Nov 1 14:04:27 PST 2009

Hi,

we just would like to announce the birth of a new X3D related project:

www.x3dom.org

X3DOM (pronounced X-Freedom) is an experimental open source runtime,
implemented in JavaScript and WebGL, to support the ongoing discussion
in the Web3D and W3C communities how an integration of HTML5 and
declarative 3D content could look like. It tries to fulfill the
current HTML5
specification for declarative 3D content and allows including X3D
elements
as part of any HTML5 DOM tree.
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/no.html#declarative-3d-scenes)

The goal here is to have a live X3D scene in your HTML DOM, which
allows you to manipulate the 3D content by only adding/ removing or
changing DOM elements. No specific plugin or plugin interface (like SAI)
are needed. It also supports some of the HTML events (like “onclick”)
on 3D objects.

The whole integration model is still evolving and open for discussions.

The system uses WebGL for rendering right now and therefore
renders hardware accelerated without any plugin

However, next major step will be the use of SAI(++) plugins instead
of webgl.

There are still some essential parts missing (especially with dynamic
content) but we thought we could already start the discussion :)

best regards
Johannes

--------
Dr.-Ing. Johannes Behr	tel: +49-6151-155-510
Fraunhoferstr. 5			fax: +49-6151-155-196
D-64283 Darmstadt		skype: johannesbehr
Germany				web: www.igd.fhg.de/www/igd-a4/