[X3D-Public] x3dom announcment

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Fri Nov 6 11:54:39 PST 2009

Hi Lars,

> I feel like this may be what many of us were hoping for to happen.
> Basically a way to integrate 3d content into html-world, but without
> being limited, staying with x3d in the back and as an option to use
> native x3d players when needed.
>
> Is there any info on how to actually start using this? I browsed
> through
> the pages some time ago, but could not find how to start. The examples
> all opened in some flash windows, so the underlying source was not
> visible.

Sorry. We had some problems with the popup-code and removed it.
It opens a new page now and you can easily look at the source-code
with "View Source".

> Do I need some kind of a javascript library, or is it really
> purely a technology how to leverage on the built-in 3d interface of
> the
> browser?

You just need one extra line somewhere in your (X)html page:

  <script type="text/javascript" src="http://x3dom.org/x3dom/release/x3dom.js
" />

Everything else will be done automatically. All you deal with is
the X3D-content. This is importent since we will change some of
the underlying javascript code soon.

A full example (with CCS style) looks like this:

-----
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
">
         <head>
         <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://x3dom.org/x3dom/release/x3dom.css
" />
         </head>

     <h1>Hello World</h1>

         <X3D xmlns="http://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-
namespace"  showStat="false" showLog="false" x="0px" y="0px"
width="400px" height="400px" altImg="helloX3D-alt.png">
           <Scene>
             <Viewpoint position='0 0 10' />
              <Shape>
                 <Appearance>
                     <Material diffuseColor='0.603 0.894 0.909' />
                 </Appearance>
                 <Box />
              </Shape>
           </Scene>
         </X3D>

         <script type="text/javascript" src="http://x3dom.org/x3dom/release/x3dom.js
" />

-----

Just open the attached file in your webGL-enabled FireFox or WebKit
build.
(more info on the browser support: http://www.x3dom.org/?page_id=9)

More info about the CSS-styling will be on the web-page
(www.x3dom.org) soon

best regards
johannes