[X3D-Public] X3D+HTML5 talk presented to HTML5 working grouptoday

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Sun Nov 8 12:35:43 PST 2009

Hi,

> I really like the HTML5 X3D integration work that is
> currently being done. I believe the functionality is going
> to be a major step forward for X3D, even if initially only
> to bridge the gap for when no plugin is installed. I've seen
> it work at SIGGRAPH, and the longtime foresight in creating
> XML based X3D finally becomes much more apparent. Kudos to
> all involved.
>
> Is there any proposal or consensus on how we should
> eventually reference to it in a more succinct and marketable
> way? Something simple that would stick (around the likes of
> Flash) and help spread the word, or maybe just HTML5-X3D ???

The current WebGL-based implementation (X3DOM.org) is really only an
experimental solution. It helps to sell our main points to the HTML
community

- Live X3D scene as part of your DOM which allows you to manipulate
the 3D content by only adding/ removing or changing DOM elements.
- X3D without any plugin or plugin-interface
- X3D reduced to the max: No PROTO or Scripting on the X3D-scene-side.
All partitioning and scripting is done on the HTML side.

This intermediate solution has two major drawbacks

- Feature: The current WebGL/Javascrpt layer does not allow advanced
feature e.g. (spatial) sound or movie textures.
- Performance: WebGL is quite fast but we still have to do all the
traversals and scene-updates in Javascript.

But the X3DOM architecture is not bound to an WebGL renderer backend.

The next step will be support for existing X3D-SAI browser as
rendering and animation backbends.
The whole design (not the current impl.) was chosen with different
backbends in mind.
(http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/images/3/30/X3dom-web3d2009-paper.pdf)

Therefore we believe some single line per (X)HTML document will stay
for a while:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://x3dom.org/x3dom/release/x3dom.js
" />

Future version of X3DOM will use WebGL, X3D-SAI, O3D, or browser
native implementation
transparent for the app-developer.

The actually backend will be chosen automatically or based on the
content X3D-Profile.

Therefore the current HTML-X3D solution should not be called "The
webgl solution".
"X3D in DOM" or short X3DOM makes more sense.

best regards,
johannes