[X3D-Public] X3dom + PROTO

Dave dave at realmofconcepts.com
Mon Nov 9 14:09:13 PST 2009

I'm new to this discussion, but not the concept.

Vivaty made some headway into this proto problem. They actually invented
yet-another meta language to help it out,
but it could be done without that, perhaps using normal x3d meta data,
but basically the idea is:
-Put your 3D content into x3d files. Use little or no script nodes.
(their meta language describes the interfaces, but a proto file could do
just as well)
-Put your code associated into javascript files. Remember -
object-oriented is your friend.
-You need to keep the x3d and js files in sync. This is a slight more
pain than having them in one file (using script nodes), but hey. There
may be work-arounds for that too.
-When the scene loads, your js is loaded into DOM to, on-the-fly. The js
drives the scene. Each instance of the object has its own
data. Thus, you accomplish pretty much the same as protos, without
actually being protos.
This does mean re-working your content, that should not be a shock.
-Composite objects (think protos-within-protos) are possible, more
complicated though.

Question: Is the X3D Consortium planning on a revised spec? Perhaps a
'web' profile? Seems like it should be, as HTML itself
is getting the make-over.

I do hope than anyone and everyone that's ever contributed to
open-source VRML/X3D player will jump in and make
this happen ASAP.

Is anyone working with O3D? Or is it all WebGL?

Dave A.