[X3D-Public] X3dom + PROTO

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Mon Nov 9 16:04:51 PST 2009

Hi,

> Vivaty made some headway into this proto problem. They actually
> invented yet-another meta language to help it out,
> but it could be done without that, perhaps using normal x3d meta
> data, but basically the idea is:
> -Put your 3D content into x3d files. Use little or no script nodes.
> (their meta language describes the interfaces, but a proto file
> could do just as well)
> -Put your code associated into javascript files. Remember - object-
> oriented is your friend.
> -You need to keep the x3d and js files in sync. This is a slight
> more pain than having them in one file (using script nodes), but
> hey. There
> may be work-arounds for that too.
> -When the scene loads, your js is loaded into DOM to, on-the-fly.
> The js drives the scene. Each instance of the object has its own
> data. Thus, you accomplish pretty much the same as protos, without
> actually being protos.
> This does mean re-working your content, that should not be a shock.
> -Composite objects (think protos-within-protos) are possible, more
> complicated though.

Sounds a lot like our PML (Player Markup Language) which sits on top
of X3D to control avatars and behaviour in general:

http://www.instantreality.org/tutorial/controlling-behaviour/

Especially with more advanced animation methods (e.g. blending) you
need tools which support concepts which can
not be handled by Protos right now.

> Question: Is the X3D Consortium planning on a revised spec? Perhaps
> a 'web' profile? Seems like it should be, as HTML itself
> is getting the make-over.

It's still all open for discussion. We had a very productive meeting
at TPAC and we will se where this goes. I'm very optimistic right now.

> I do hope than anyone and everyone that's ever contributed to open-
> source VRML/X3D player will jump in and make
> this happen ASAP.
>
> Is anyone working with O3D? Or is it all WebGL?

It's all WebGL right now but the render is separated from the rest. It
_should_ be ease to build a prototyped O3D backend.
It will not be optimal right now since O3D (as scene-graph API) needs
another layer but this optimization can come later.

best regards
Johannes