[X3D-Public] Accelerometer environment sensor

Johannes Behr johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de
Wed Nov 18 13:26:12 PST 2009

Just my $0.02.

Do not add any device or device-class specific Sensor to the spec.

- The Spec is wisely written, even the PointingSensor, without any
device specifics. This is an achievement we should follow.
- We would need to talk about device classes, relations and shared
interfaces. The VR-community did not manage to get this right for 20
years
- We would end up with new Nodes (+ ISO process) for every new device
or device-class somebody needs.

My suggestion: If we really need a device-specific sensor in our
scene (wich is still odd for other reasons) we should not add one
for every device but add _just_ one for all devices:

  <IOSensor type='joystick'>
   <field accessType='outputOnly' name='xAxis' type='SFFloat'/>
   <field accessType='outputOnly' name='yAxis' type='SFFloat'/>
</IOSensor>

With a dynamic interface like Scripts. Therefore you can add any kind
of field to do
your input/ouput and it will be mapped. If the system can not map the
fields to
the given type you get a warning or interactive suggestion.

This can be used for Joysticks, AR-Cameras ( first attached example ) or
Accelerometer sensors ( second attached example )
(or 50 other devices ( including Compass and GPS) supported this
way: http://www.instantreality.org/device/)

The first example should run everywhere the second needs a macbook (or
Pro)
using a instantReality.org runtime.

This is not portable right now but we could come up with a table
or web-page with suggested types and interfaces without adding a
new Node to the spec and ISO-process for every device or device-class.

And browser vendor could add experimental devices and interfaces
without new nodes.

best regards
johannes

--
Dr. Johannes Behr
Leiter Projektbereich VR

Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
Fraunhoferstr. 5  |  64283 Darmstadt  |  Germany
Tel +49 6151 155-510  |  Fax +49 6151 155-196
johannes.behr at igd.fraunhofer.de  |  www.igd.fraunhofer.de