[X3D-Public] X3D Music Video

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sun Nov 22 09:42:56 PST 2009

Could be.  On the other hand an audio input node is useful and expressive
but the current 3D audio nodes haven't be fully explored.   There are a
couple of reasons:

1.	Audio scripting nodes in to sequences and interactively triggered
combos mixed with environmental sounds is a lot of work.  Gamers do it but
with big teams.
2.	Games subordinate sound to game play naturally.  Good for gamers but
unlikely to attract A-listers who are composers first and/or uninterested in
game commissions.
3.	Because of the poverties of the web, sound takes a back seat to
textures every time in the bandwidth budget.  A-listers know that even mp3s
(a godsend to the rest of us) sonically suck.

Some things may be changing:

1.	Producers are increasingly unsatisfied with the mp3 and digital
sound in general.  Further, because the RIAA production standards that once
made vinyl a level playing field haven't been replicated in digital a
producer can work for months to get a sound only to have a kid in a CD
replication plan twist one knob and destroy it.  As a result producers such
as Henry Burnett (aka, T-Bone) have developed new standard techniques (see
CODE system).   This is resulting in unheard of digital quality production.
Burnett says simultaneous releases in multiple formats such as CODE enables
are now  a commercial reality and a competitive requirement.   That may be
the middle road for the 3D audio producers who want to work with the A-list.
2.	The IP problem remains but the A-listers are not quite the greedy
ghouls they've been made to be.   They see the reality of the web as
distribution and know that per copy revenue isn't going to produce the
profits they once did.   They know they have to diversify and they are they
don't like the lawsuits.   A group in Britain signed a letter of protest to
the British government over a proposal to go after the internet access of
individuals who file swap.  Industrialists doing it are one thing but
chasing the fans is just stupid.   They are looking for a way to make the
system fair for all concerned again.
3.	As I've said here often, new art forms are rare.  The 3D virtual
reality music albums are that.   That intrigues them.   Our problem as I
said is our industry is mired in games and the amateurs such as myself who
experiment with these concepts can't go far enough.

Access to capital is the problem for all concerned.   Yet the A-listers can
do that.  It seems to me that we may soon want to meet in the middle.  When
a major 3D company using language standards can get the penetration and
works with A-list producers and musicians, we'll see a change.

len