[X3D-Public] Are we still alive? - HTML5

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 2 15:07:31 PDT 2009

> Suddenly, things got real quiet.

How about livening it up with comments about this:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5#Goals:_X3D_and_HTML5

More soon. We are working on organizing our info and tactics,
True, it is unknown what HTML5 will be, but it is the next generation,
so it will be an advance. The Good news is that G, Ff, Op, Sa, and
even IE will do a lot of HTML5 now. A basic concept is that the
doctype now looks like this:
<!DOCTYPE html>
along with the desired HTML or XHTML MIME,
and it will be clear what is old conforming, new conforming, and
obsolete.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

Actually Web3D has a mission to attend the next W3C TPAC meeting in
Santa Clara 4,
5,  and 6 of November.
http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/

I'm one of three representing Web3D.org, which is a member of W3C, in
the HTML Working Group activities. In this effort, the major goal of
Web3D is to have X3D included as the native declarative syntax for
interactive 3D in HTML and XHTML. Specific tasks are gettiing
consistent behaviors between browsers using the <object> element in
HTML and XHTML and advancing the idea of 'namespace-awareness' defined
in both HTML and XHTML to provide extensibility by 'Inline' user code
in both environments.

If I have a personal mission besides those, it is to get the archaic
<embed> element completely out of the language. The elements <object,>
applications of <embed> and offer an organized api and author-defined
fallback:) that <embed> does not.

This may sound like a big deal, but X3D is not the only language
extension being deliberated and implemented. HTML5 will also include
'native' SVG, MathML, and Ruby markup (yes, the Ruby markup, not the
Ruby application language) in all conforming W3C web browsers. That is
wonderful enough, but wait, there is more, including making <video>
and <audio> first class elements with their own interfaces and not to
mention a big press for Accessibility (ARIA) and integration of
Semantic Web concepts (microdata and/or RDFa) and finally DOM3. Ooohh!
and don't forget the amazing Canvas2D and Canvas3D elements and the
great connections with WebGL and O3D and X3D.

Anyway, we will share the experience with the group when we return
from the meeting.
Meanwhile, I am open to any questions or comments about HTML, XHTML,
and HTML5 that anyone may have.

Thanks to All and Best Regards,
Joe
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5