[X3D-Public] x3d statistics for scene generator

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 19 16:38:10 PDT 2009

> So I've got this idea for an x3d scene generator, but I need to
> gather  statistics on the various uses of the elements and
> attributes used in  X3D or VRML scenes.  Does anyone know of a way
> to derive a statistical  analysis of X3D or VRML node usage--which
> nodes are used the most often, in what order or nesting etc?
> Hopefully, I could analyze  enough X3D and VRML to create new
> content that would have  the same  style as the analyzed content,
> yet create unique scenes and objects.   I realize that I could run
> into copyright issues, etc.  Probably I'd only be doing this on
> public domain or open source scenes.

Thanks for asking
because some things
are known to  be true and some
are only suspected.

First, the most predictable content to examine to predict would be X3D
XML encoding, just because, if you want to get correct, then the
syntax is/can be absolute,
We have a style sheet transformation that gets X3D XML from most any
3D text file.

So, first, there is one <X3D> and one <Scene>.
Then there could be
any number of <Group> or <Transform> nodes;
each possibly holding any number of those possibilities.

Of course as children of those Group and Transform nodes, in general,
if you wish to present something we can see and interact with, then
you find a <Shape> node, which describes appearance and geomentry.

Appearance is relatively simple
(Iike real life)
and there are many different forms
for geometry. Mesh, IFS, NURBS, 2D and 3D primitives, etc,

Next, or maybe first, Viewpoint and Lighting,

Now event sytems with ROUTE sttement and maybe Event Utilities

If you are looking at specialities, like H-Anim or CAD, there would be
apredominace of those associated nodes.

I saw a 3D search application that searced for shapes.

I hope this helps some.
Best Regards,
Joe