[X3D-Public] MovieTexture and AudioClip royalty-free options

Alan Hudson giles at yumetech.com
Thu Apr 8 11:30:55 PDT 2010

Dave A wrote:
> Partly a joke, yes, mainly frustration. It's been about a year since I tried,
> here are some observations, for instance,
> trying to move content between Cortona, Contact, and Vivaty:
>
> 1. Default Sphere appearances range from 'ball' to 'disco ball' to 'a kinda
> roundish faceted thing'

we did add a browser options for parameters for low,med,high tesellation
levels.  But no per-primitive specification.

> 2. Texture + Diffuse color is different. Where one player will ignore the color,
> another will colorize the texture.

this is at least clear in the spec but it took me personally a few years
to work out the correct answers.

> 3. MultiTexture - if supported, different syntax let alone appearances
> 4. Shaders - yeah right
> 5. The Script implementations are all different, even basic clauses like
> 'switch' cannot be counted upon
> 6. SAI  - all completely different. Even just Contact depends on whether its
> sitting in IE or Firefox
> whether it can even work at all, and each language binding is different.
> 7. ExternProto support: While there, is spotty and buggy. Without Import/Export,
> or introspective Inline,
> ExternProto is the most powerful aspect of X3D. It's a shame it's not solid, at
> least in Vivaty and Contact.
> I haven't tried it in anything else yet. I love that Contact has introspective
> Inline, they all should IMHO.
> 8. Did I say Import/Export? How many players support that?
at least Xj3D does, we may be the only ones.  Too bad as its nice
functionality and was pretty easy for us to implement.
> 9. 2D layer support is implemented differently

agree with the rest of your assetment.  We've been doing plug fests the
last couple years and its shown improvement but interop at the event
model level has not been achieved.  I am glad to see the vendors putting
time into it but it will be awhile before interp is achieved and
questionable in my mind if its possible all the way out to the edges of
the spec.  Ie Interchange and Interactive profiles are close in my mind,
Immersive and Full are not.

--
Alan Hudson

President Yumetech, Inc.                               www.yumetech.com
President Web3D Consortium                             www.web3d.org
206 340 8900 ext 111

Open Source CAN be free, as in "free puppy"