[X3D-Public] 3D Databases?

Alan Hudson giles at yumetech.com
Fri Apr 30 17:58:02 PDT 2010

Dave A wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with true 3D databases. Meaning
> actually stores vertices and materials, all that, so it can serve up a
> model.
>
> I know there are some out there, most 'spatial' ones I've seen are really
> more geographic than geometric. Would be cool to query
> 'get by view frustum' or 'get by material' or 'get bounding box' 'get
> convex hull' etc. etc.
>
> Is Oracle really the only one that does this? Right Hemisphere has
> something but
> it too is too expensive for me.

beyond Oracle I think Postgres is the only one.  I have not used the
Postgres stuff but I have heard they have a spatial extension.  Not true
3D but useful in some cases.

Xj3D and Aviatrix3D are very well suited for creating that layer overtop
a database.  Extensive routines for bounds intersection on a server.
I'd implement a scenegraph index that had all the objects in it.  Then
you could support spatial queries efficiently.  Extend SQL with a few
concepts and you'd have it together.

--
Alan Hudson

President Yumetech, Inc.                               www.yumetech.com
206 340 8900 ext 111

Open Source CAN be free, as in "free puppy"