[X3D-Public] International Digital Publishing Forum (formerly Open eBook Forum)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Aug 17 06:13:32 PDT 2010

Hi!

> Does anyone care about archiving 3D?  What is the preferred 3D
> archival format?  What's the best way to archive behavioral aspects
> of 3D?  Do we need to archive behavior aspects?  Is video sufficient
> (with 3D reconstruction, which is doable these days).

I think that x3d is a very specific type of 3d data. In most cases, 3d
does not include behaviour. That means that it is about geometry and,
probably, some meta information. This may include structure such as
layers as well as editing support. There are some open standards for CAD
which are well documented, though support in CAD software is often
underdeveloped. See e.g. STEP or IGES.

So the challenge for what we are usually talking about on this list is
to include behaviour and scene logic - which touches the problem to
archive software as implemented algorithms besides data. The same
problem as faced by typical dynamic web-content. I remember the times
that mirroring a web-site was perfectly possible by copying, and was
used to archive web pages.

Cheers, Lars.