[X3D-Public] range of the field types

John A. Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Mon Dec 20 06:40:06 PST 2010

Hi Sajjad;

Yes, I think you will find that there are some implementation differences on certain processors. This web page outlines some of the macros used:

http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/~cs30x/Std.C/float.html

I think you'll find that most worlds are kept such that numbers tend towards zero rather than infinity - so infinity is not on people's radar.

If you do geospatial positioning, you'll find that doubles (or, the Geo Component nodes) are required for precise location on many systems.

> As a follow-up of the previous mail , i would like to mention that my C++ based GUI editor gave me the following minimum and maximum value.
>
> How do i alter them to the X3D specific int , float and double types so that the user can play with the values within the range?

I'm afraid that I don't understand the question. Do you mean "ensure that they are encoded correctly as a number?" - if so, it is in the spec, probably in the field values section.

Hope some of this helps; Keep on programming;

John A. Stewart
alex.stewart at crc.ca

Network Systems and Technologies -
        Systemes et technologies des reseaux
Communications Research Centre Canada  |
         Centre de recherches sur les communications Canada

3701 Carling Ave.  |  3701, avenue Carling
PO Box 11490, Station H  |  CP 11490, succursale H
         Ottawa ON K2H 8S2   |  Ottawa (Ontario) K2H 8S2

http://www.crc.ca