[X3D-Public] Fwd: Re: [X3D] X3D HTML5 meeting discussions: Declarative 3D interest group at W3C

Chris Marrin chris at marrin.com
Thu Dec 23 11:05:52 PST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 10:52 AM, John Carlson wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2010, at 7:12 PM, John Carlson wrote:
>

>> So, here's question:  if XG a declarative version of the presentation/view, how do you hook in my domain specific model (the JSON)?  That's what's important, right, my model?
>>
> Say I have the equation: r = A + B * cos (C * theta) * cos (D * phi), where A, B, C and D vary over time randomly (probably described declaratively in MathML).  I want this to be rendered in a variety of environments in WebKit, Mozilla, Opera or Chrome (Mac OS X). Would the XG work with sort of declarative problem?

What you want to do here is to take any declarative 3D out of the example. How would you want to render this in any declarative form, say SVG or even plain HTML? Your problem is very undefined. The declarative form doesn't solve problems. It merely gives you a language in which to express those solutions.

MathML doesn't understand what a problem means, even if it can express it in some visually appealing way. You can take that MathML DOM, extract the interesting parts and graph it, or animate it, or even use it as the tensors in a physical simulation.

Collada is very good at expressing physical properties and surfaces. But it's up to the user of that model to drop it on the floor and have it appear and behave as those properties specify.

-----
~Chris
chris at marrin.com