[X3D-Public] X3D and XMPP

Alan Hudson giles at yumetech.com
Tue Jun 8 17:17:15 PDT 2010

Tom Sparks wrote:
> --- On Wed, 9/6/10, Alan Hudson <giles at yumetech.com> wrote:
>
>>> Has anybody use X3D in XMPP[1]?
>>> How hard would be to add to Xj3D?
>>>
>>> I know X3D-edit has an XMPP chat option
>>>
>>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Messaging_and_Presence_Protocol
>>>

>> Xj3D already uses it for the dis-xml protocol
>> support.  And in several projects I've created Java SAI
>> classes that use XMPP to communicate state information.
>>
>> Not certain what you mean by add.  Ie its a
>> communication framework not a specific protocol.  But
>> yes it interoperates fine with Xj3D.
>> -- Alan Hudson
>
> What about createvrmlfromXMPP?

meaning it takes a message from a chatroom and shoves it into
createX3DFromString.   Very easy to do.  Eventually you'll want messages
to change position etc.  Ie you'll need some protocol.  That could be
DIS, it could be a serialized form of SAI.  It could be a simple avatar
is here with this 3d model etc.

> what about Jingle support?

Not positive, haven't looked at Jingle much.  I suspect you'd need to
convert its messages into some change in the X3D scenegraph.

> Can you make it available to the public (with source)?

sure.  DIS_XML is already publically available from NPS and is used in
the Xj3D codebase.  When I finish up the Raygun support from Planet9
I'll make that public.  The code is not hard, just opens a connection to
a chartoom(I use the smack api) and then calls SAI commands.

--
Alan Hudson

President Yumetech, Inc.                               www.yumetech.com
206 340 8900 ext 111

Open Source CAN be free, as in "free puppy"