[X3D-Public] multiuser mode (newbie question)

Chris Thorne dragonmagi at gmail.com
Tue May 4 16:01:19 PDT 2010

On 5 May 2010 08:00, Len Bullard <cbullard at hiwaay.net> wrote:

>  “To my thinking: the same motivation one would have to support openGL :
> increased portability and interoperability makes business sense to me.“
>

> Mine too.  Portability of content is what I want.   As the artist, I don’t
> WANT to pick the radios.
>

> Art production requires lots of time in.  For the time in to pay out,
> content has to be resilient to shocks from the browser.  That makes it hard
> to host and rehost anything but video.   Some really easy to apply interface
> widgets can greatly improve productivity but are costly to experiment with
> on the host given the distribution of the host.   Software kudzu.    One
> response is to identify and reward the strengths of the software instead of
> working to perfect the deficits, in this case, take advantage of X3D’s
> relative isolation and agree quickly to build widgets that DO reduce the
> authoring load and are sharable among the local software ecosystem.
>

> VRML/X3D browser vendors should be collapsing the space for ease of
> authorship * maintenance, or roughly, how much time can be spent making new
> assets vs maintaining viable stock resources.

One of the main benefits of the declarative nature of X3D is that it caters
for all the non programmers - allowing them to create using even the
simplest of tools. It should be the same for creating mutiuser networked
content.

Interestingly, Chris Marrin is proposing a declarative layer for webGL,
without which it would remain a programmers tool.

> Ultimately content domains like biological domains cohere in the face of
> novelty through practice, memory and feedback.   A framework of response
> domains maps the services to the organizations that perform them in response
> to the panarchies that authorize them in response to the event/incident
> type.  That is the key to resilience.
>
> hmm - you lost me :P

chris