[X3D-Public] XMPP or not XMPP

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Thu Sep 2 09:17:22 PDT 2010

Hi Sven-Erik

Don't know much about simulation engines, but maybe can contribute "my two
cent".

>  The intention are to use the same script for  all transfere of states
over the network or only local in the  mashine.

If you use TCP/IP for transmission, and if you assume an IP stack always
being present, you can delegate the "local/remote" decision to the IP
stack. Use "localhost"/127.0.0.1 as destination address and the "short cut"
will be done by the IP stack (saving development effort on the cost of some
additional computational overhead, keeping scripts simple).
I had a similar problem in the "SrrTrains" project, where I rely on the
"EventStreamSensor" / "NetworkSensor" and I aimed to support
single-player-mode without(!) collaboration server. Unfortunately,
"EventStreamSensor"/"NetworkSensor" don't support "single-player-mode
without collaboration server", but only "single-player-mode with
collaboration server" (which is nothing else than a multi-player session,
that hosts only one user accidentally). I had to implement some if()s to
bypass "EventStreamSensor"/"NetworkSensor" in case of single-player-mode.

> Primarily I'v taken the example to have a MU 3D space with many 3D
clients and one or more servers.         Secondly one computer hosting both
a 3D Browser and a  simulation/animation engine.
So you have an m:n relationship between clients and servers. I assume, that
servers will not be added or removed frequently, unless you add or remove
models dynamically.

Starting up and terminating clients will change the communication relations
on the other hand, you will have to update all servers to tell them, to
which addresses the states will have to be distributed.

What about having a dispatcher in between, such that you have:
     m clients     ---     1 dispatcher     ---     n
servers

Kind regards
Christoph

--
GMX.at - Österreichs FreeMail-Dienst mit über 2 Mio Mitgliedern
E-Mail, SMS & mehr! Kostenlos: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atfreemail