[X3D-Public] Announcement: view3dscene 3.8.0

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:55:11 PST 2011

Joe D Williams wrote:
> The biggest feature question to me for view3dscene is did the texture
> get attached and actually stay attached to the correct skin vertex as
> the figure moves? So far only BSContact and Flux (before VIvaty) did
> that comepletely right for the deformable skin.

Unfortunately, the texture changed, since different axis of the box
became the largest. It's not difficult to fix it, to match your
requirements, but I really don't know whether that would be correct.
Specification says that automatic texture mapping on IndexedFaceSet
depends on the local bounding box, so if this box size changes -> it
seems natural that texture mapping may also change.

If you want to map a texture more reliably, use explicit texture
coordinates, or try appropriate TextureCoordinateGenerator (with
eventual TextureTransform).

That said, if everyone agrees that IndexedFaceSet specification about
automatic texture mapping should be interpreted as "automatic texture
coordinates depend on initial IndexedFaceSet bounding box, and do not
change later", it's easy to fix view3dscene for it too :)

Michalis