[X3D-Public] Job @ Virginia Tech: Deputy Director of High Performance Computing

Nicholas F. Polys npolys at vt.edu
Wed Jun 15 06:02:21 PDT 2011

Greetings all~

We are hiring several positions this year into my unit here at Virginia
Tech (www.arc.vt.edu).
This is the first and most high-ranking.

Please share this posting with any you think would be interested; it
will remain open for a few more weeks.
I will post more openings as they are available.

Deputy Director of High Performance Computing
https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=463166

The Deputy Director of High Performance Computing leads the high
performance computing infrastructure component within the Information
Technology office of the Associate Vice President for Research
Computing. This is accomplished in ways that enhance the academic and
research missions of the University: facilitate faculty research,
education and outreach. The position fosters reliable and stable
research computing systems, state of the art software and visualization
tools and articulates new strategic research computing visions. The
Deputy Director of High Performance Computing provides leadership to the
development and implementation of strategic initiatives for Research
Computing.

Required Qualifications

Extensive experience in the research, testing and evaluation of High
Performance Computing demonstrating the following qualifications:
-Ability to organize and manage resources to achieve goals and objectives
-Knowledge of and appreciation for interdisciplinary research using
state of the art research computing and visualization
-Strong interpersonal talents & communication skills
-Creative and innovative leadership
-Ability to articulate an achievable vision
-An understanding of how advancements in research computing will support
the mission of the University is essential.
-The understanding of and support for IT goals in research computing is
critical.
-A Master's degree in Computer Science or related field is required.

Preferred Qualifications

A Ph.D. in a computational science related field

--
Nicholas F. Polys Ph.D.

Director of Visual Computing
Virginia Tech Information Technology