[X3D-Public] W3C progress by X3D: Efficient XML Interchange (EXI)

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Mar 15 10:19:18 PDT 2011

The following message was sent to the X3D and CAD working groups
plus members of the Web3D Consortium.

The progress and capabilities described here have broad usefulness
for 3D authors and industry.  If interested, I respectfully request
that you consider joining the Web3D Consortium and helping us
further improve the role of 3D graphics on the Web.

On 3/15/2011 10:12 AM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> For everyone's information:  Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) is now
> a W3C Recommendation.  Web3D has contributed for many years to this
> effort.  Our testimonial is in the second message.
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/2011/03/exi-pr.html.en
> 	http://www.w3.org/2011/03/exi-testimonials.html
>
> "Web3D Consortium enthusiastically supports the advancement of EXI to W3C Recommendation. We have contributed since the beginning of this effort and applaud the working group for an exceptionally thorough effort. EXI has demonstrated, through thousands of examples and multiple implementations, that it meets the original requirements set by W3C. This includes the compression and performance requirements relating to 3D graphics. Web3D Consortium members intend to integrate EXI in the next version of the X3D Compressed Binary Encoding specification. We look forward to EXI further helping grow the scope of the Web."
>
> The X3D Working Group expects to use EXI in the next version of
> X3D Compressed Binary Encoding (CBE).  Leonard, please look ahead
> on the schedule and when our X3D version 3.3 review permits it,
> let's look at the strategic planning schedule for integrating EXI
> as part of the next X3D CBE.  In addition to somewhat better
> performance, compression and Web integration, using EXI will let us
> include XML Security capabilities for encryption/decryption and
> digital signature/authentication.  These are important commercial
> capabilities that can be applied either to full X3D models or to special
> submodels (such as full-fidelity NURBS or CAD) within an X3D scene.
>
> Thanks to Don McGregor NPS, Terry Norbraten NPS, and Alan Hudson Yumetech
> for their contributions to this work.
>
> The _Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format 1.0_ W3C Recommendation
> of 10 March 2011 is available at
>
> 	http://www.w3.org/TR/exi
>
> Further in-depth information about EXI is available in the following
> NPS thesis and attached poster.
>
> 	Snyder, Sheldon, Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Compression and
> 	Performance Benefits:  Development, Implementation and Evaluation,
> 	Masters Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey California,
> 	March 2010.
> 	http://edocs.nps.edu/npspubs/scholarly/theses/2010/Mar/10Mar%5FSynder.pdf
> 	http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA518679
>
> Comments questions and suggestions are welcome, thanks for considering
> these excellent possibilities.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br      brutzman at nps.edu
Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  +1.831.656.2149
X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots     http://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman