[X3D-Public] comments anyone?

John Stewart alex.stewart at crc.ca
Wed May 11 06:39:19 PDT 2011

John;

On 2011-05-11, at 1:33 AM, John Carlson wrote:

> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/05/10/191259/WebGL-Poses-New-Security-Problems

Back when my job entailed lots of X3D stuff, I brought this up with WebGL proponents in the HTML5 WG of the W3C.

The answer was that WebGL checks shaders for validity and thus, for instance, a denial of service attack, is not possible.

My thoughts at the time were "yeah, right".  About the only way I am able to crash OSX or put it into mandatory shutdown mode is to write OpenGL/shader code.

I still firmly believe that the abstraction above hardware gives X3D incredible strength; we just, somehow need that 15 second sound byte out to the world.

John A. Stewart.