[X3D-Public] Fw: [SF ACM SIGGRAPH] Upcoming San Francisco ACM SIGGRAPH Event: “Stop Drawing Dead Fish” - May 16, 2012

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 16 17:50:17 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Announcements of upcoming chapter events"
<san-francisco-announcements at siggraph.org>
To: <san-francisco-announcements at siggraph.org>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 12:26 PM
Subject: [SF ACM SIGGRAPH] Upcoming San Francisco ACM SIGGRAPH Event:
“Stop Drawing Dead Fish” - May 16, 2012

San
Francisco ACM SIGGRAPH Presents: "Stop Drawing Dead Fish"Wednesday,
May 16 at Adobe Systems

"Stop
Drawing Dead Fish"
By Bret Victor

DATE:
Wednesday, May 16
TIME: 6:30pm, Doors open
PRESENTATION: Stop Drawing Dead Fish
LOCATION: Adobe Systems – 601 Townsend St., San
Francisco

"The world is dynamic and
alive. Trees wave in the wind, fish flock in schools, cats chase mice.
Artists,
too, are alive. The act of painting a brushstroke, or playing a
musical phrase,
or performing a dance move, captures the dynamic expressiveness of the
human
body.

However, we have a dearth of tools for creating dynamic digital worlds
using
the artist's dynamic performance. Pictures drawn in Photoshop or
animated in
After Effects are fixed, static, and unresponsive. We can create
living
environments by typing in code, but not through the natural
expressiveness of
the artist's hand.

This talk will suggest some directions for digital design tools which
embrace
together the behavior and responsiveness of digital simulation with
the
dexterity and spontaneity of an artist's performance."
Bret Victor

Bret Victor invents tools that enable people to understand and create.
He has
designed experimental UI concepts at Apple, interactive data graphics
for Al
Gore, and musical instruments at Alesis. He is the author of “Magic
Ink:
Information Software and the Graphical Interface”, and recently
presented
“Inventing on Principle”.

This
event is free for members. We request a donation of $9 for
non-members.

For membership and donation, please
visit
http://san-francisco.siggraph.org