[X3D-Public] X3D Schema, DTD improvements for ShaderPart validation

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 14:43:24 PST 2012

Don Brutzman wrote:
> Example test scenes follow.  Warning, known problem: still need to fix ShaderPart contained CDATA content model in X3D DTD and X3D Schema.
>
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Shaders/SimpleShader.x3d
> http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Shaders/Flutter.x3d

I tested these two scenes, and found a couple of errors in Flutter.x3d
at inlined ShaderPart contents. Problems 1. and 2. below are commonly
found in other X3D scenes, so some browsers (like my view3dscene)
tolerate and only warn about them, but they really should be fixed IMHO
as these are official X3D examples and should show "the right way".
Problem 3. prevents the shader from working at all.

1. The MFString url values are not surrounded by quotes as necessary.
You have

    <ShaderPart type='VERTEX' url='data:...'/>

while there should be

    <ShaderPart type='VERTEX' url='"data:..."'/>

2. The data: URI are not used correctly. Header, that is
"data:text/plain" should be *always* followed by a comma, never by a
space. For example, vertex shader contents should not be

    data:text/plain varying float...

They should be

    data:text/plain,varying float

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme and
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2397 .

3. Inside GLSL fragment code, many commas are missing and the shader
fails to compile at all... It seems that somewhere along the line
something removed all the commas, causing this and previous problem.

3.1. Instead of

    float thisXY2=dot(vec2(TPO.xy) vec2(TPO.xy))*ticker;

there should be

    float thisXY2=dot(vec2(TPO.xy), vec2(TPO.xy))*ticker;

3.2. Instead of

    vec3 LightPos=vec3(0. 10. 0.);

there should be

    vec3 LightPos=vec3(0., 10., 0.);

3.3. Instead of

    LTI=dot(normalize(LightPos-ECpos) myNorml);

there should be

    LTI=dot(normalize(LightPos-ECpos), myNorml);

3.4. Instead of

    LTI=clamp(LTI 0. 1.);

there should be

    LTI=clamp(LTI, 0., 1.);

I uploaded a fixed version of Flutter.x3d to
http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/~michalis/tmp/Flutter.x3d , with
modifications as listed above, and the shader code split into multiple
lines for easier editing. With the fixes, it works with view3dscene, and
without raising any warnings.

This example seems to be based on a flutter.x3d example available also
on FreeWRL website, from http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/examples.html
link to http://freewrl.sourceforge.net/images/flutter.x3d . Some of the
above problems (2. and 3., but not 1.) are fixed there already.

For
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Shaders/SimpleShader.x3d: everything
seems correct, although the example could be improved by placing

    <ProtoInstance name='myP' />

near the end (before </Scene>). Otherwise, the current file only defines
a prototype without ever instantiating it, so the scene is simply empty.
So it doesn't seem a useful example at the 1st sight :)

I uploaded a modified version to
http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/~michalis/tmp/SimpleShader.x3d .

Regards,
Michalis