[X3D-Public] X3D GeoSpatial component review minutes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Apr 2 08:01:17 PDT 2013

[Corrected final copy follows, apologies for sending prior draft]

1. Byounghyun and I discussed work with X3D Geospatial Component.  We
plan to continue talking each week on the Web3D conference line, 07-0800
(when I can wake up on time!).  These notes are an informal record of
our work together.

Review goals:

a. review all X3D Geospatial examples to ensure prior work is captured
c. review capabilities for X3DOM geospatial nodes
b. review support in X3D-Edit, X3D Tooltips, X3D Schematron quality
assurance (QA)

2. The sourceforge directory for X3D Examples will be moved this week,
so any changes that are pending need to be changed.

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Geospatial

https://x3d.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/x3d/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Geospatial

The preceding address will get migrated on Friday to a new SourceForge
location.

3.  We discussed the appropriateness of moving examples that have "more
than just X3D" to this archive.

It is possible and can be useful, because this archive gets reflected on
web3d.org so we not only get version control of examples but they can be
tested on a server as well.  This helps to establish and document best
practices.

We will look at creating a subdirectory 'php' for testing such examples.
  Heavy content could be retrieved from another server besides
web3d.org.  I hope that this might possibly work standalone on a
(properly configured) user's system as well.  This will take further
work together.

4. Good exemplar for X3DOM implementation:  CAD component implementation
by Vince Marchetti with additions by Hyokwang Lee.

http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_CAD
- Next Steps and Future Work

New. X3DOM CAD page
http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3DOM_CAD

We will continue working and reporting on the CAD mailing list how the
X3DOM CAD component implementation proceeds.

Great example:  Laser printer assembly product structure, click on DEF
names on right to make other CAD sections transparent.
http://www.kshell.com/pages/x3dom/x3dom_cad/transparency/laser_assembly.xhtml
This cool widget did not need to be part of the X3D model, rather it is
CAD-aware widget addition when generating the HTML!

This work has several excellent implications for further progress with
X3DOM for X3D geospatial node support; we can add HTML features in
addition to the X3D/X3DOM support.