[X3D-Public] proposed feature: ability for scene to query browser regarding node support

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Apr 3 09:15:21 PDT 2013

As I was updating a spreadsheet I keep regarding ongoing X3D node
support, had the following idea.

A good feature for a scene would be the ability to ask the Browser if a
given node is supported.  This would provide a path forward through the
browser-feature-itis an author faces when publishing a scene.

That would let author provide some flexibility within a scene.  For
example, if Extrusion wasn't properly supported, the scene could inline
another version of the model using IndexedFaceSet (or whatever).

What do people think?  Is this a good feature to consider adding?