[X3D-Public] 3D Graphics Compression: Call for Contributions

Anita Havele anita.havele at web3d.org
Tue Apr 9 12:42:22 PDT 2013

3D Graphics Compression: Call for Contributions:

As 3D graphics compression technology continues to steadily improve. The
Web3D Consortium is making a Call for Contributions for X3D Compressed
Binary Encoding
<http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary> . We
are looking for component technologies that can help improve the current
<http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19776-3/V3.2/Part03/X3D_Binary.ht
ml> X3D Compressed Binary Encoding Standard. Geometric or information
compression technologies are of particular interest. Our goal is to produce
a revision in 2013.

Efforts are underway in the international community to evaluate and
standardize royalty-free binary compression schemes for 3D objects and
scenes. This includes general web/document web technologies such as EXI,
JSON, Ajax, as well as technologies tuned specifically to 3D graphics such
as representations of geometry and animation data. Both file-based and
streaming-based technologies are of interest as we lay the foundation for an
open web platform.

We want to emphasize that each individual contribution is not expected to
provide an overall comprehensive solution to all Web-compression challenges.
Rather, the X3D Working Group is looking for additional technical
capabilities that have the potential to work well together within our proven
framework. If your capability might fit into this rich mix, please let us
know!

Inquiries can be sent to
<http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/page/contact/x3d-chairs>
http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/page/contact/x3d-chairs.

Compressed Binary Encoding Call for Contributions:
http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary/x3d-co
mpressed-binary-encoding-call-contributions

X3D Compressed Binary Encoding Activity:
<http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary>
http://www.web3d.org/realtime-3d/working-groups/x3d/compressed-binary

Current Capabilities and Plans:
http://web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_Binary_Compression_Capabilities_and_Plan

There will be a free and open to all meeting on this topic preceding the
Web3D 2013 conference <http://web3d2013.org/>  in San Sebastian, Spain at
<http://www.vicomtech.org> Vicomtech on Wednesday, 19 June 2013 from 1:00 PM
to 4:00 PM local time (GMT+0200). The X3D Working Group co-chair Dr. Don
Brutzman will chair the session. Responses to the X3D Call for Contributions
will be discussed and candidate technologies will be compared to further
these capabilities. Agenda details for this meeting will be posted on the
Web3D 2013 Conference website.

We look forward to your contributions and participation in this effort to
further the X3D Binary Compression Capabilities.

Best regards,

Anita Havele

Executive Director, Web3D Consortium    <http://www.web3d.org/>
www.web3d.org