[X3D-Public] [h-anim] view3dscene support for h-anim visualization

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 3 11:24:04 PDT 2013

Hi All,
Sorry I got some z and y planes mixed up in my description of the
example skin(s) we need  (y-min is 0 and y-max is skull-tip; gaze +z)
. I am relooking at that in terms of making actual requirements that
Web3D can use to solicit specific contributions from members and
public.

But, I hope we get the idea that we have a very good (can I say
World-class) typical humanoid skeleton that is 'transportable' to
other dimensions (meaning the Joint locations can be changed to
accomodate a humanoid of given dimensions), and that now we need some
example transportable skins.

Note that a skin is transportable between skeletons when the point
index (skin vertex user code in order of appearance) is the same as
the base skeleton Joint skinCoordIndex and skinCoordWeight parameters.
If the vertex-to-Joint bindings remain the same, then each skin point
location can be adjusted to fit specific human or humanoid surface
dimensions.

That is why the general case best practice is:
* Start with complete skeleton that you can size to your dimensions,
* find or make segment and site geometry along with sensors and
animations,
* find or make skin bound to that skeleton and adjust to your shape.
This provides a character that can be systematically customized to an
individual and also is editable using your favorite text editor.

Web3D X3D HAnim and h-anim users have examples that show this path.
We need to get (some) skin(s) into the Web3D game.
We need 'free' bound skins for our 'free' skeletons!
Thanks and Best,
Joe