[X3D-Public] Announcement: view3dscene 3.13.0 - Mac OS X, networking, more

Vincent Marchetti vmarchetti at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 22 08:08:38 PDT 2013

I have downloaded and run view3dscene 3,13.0 on Mac OS X (10.6.8) and it works very well.

The viewer appears to offer good coverage of the CADGeometry nodes: The examples from the web3d site at  http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD/index.html show:
1. coverage of the product structure nodes CADFace, CADPart, CADAssembly: example http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD/CatiaHubAssemblyCombined.x3d ; and the version of this in which the parts are imported from URLs with the Inline node also works in view3dscene : http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD/CatiaHubAssemblyInline.x3d

Another model using the CAD product structure nodes which is well rendered in view3dscene is: http://www.kshell.com/pages/x3dom/x3dom_cad/laser_assembly.x3d

2. Coverage of the Quadset and IndexedQuadSet nodes is shown by the good rendering of these models:
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD/IndexedQuadSetTexture.x3d
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/CAD/QuadSetColor.x3d

As has been discusses in another mailing list thread (http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2013-August/002526.html) , there is also coverage of some of the nodes in the NURBS components. The examples from the NURBS section of Web3d Examples pages (http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/index.html) show:

1. The NurbsPatchSurface node is implemented, pertinent examples are:
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/NurbsPatch.x3d
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/NurbsPatchImageTexture.x3d  -- demonstrated mapping an image onto the nurbs patch surface
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/NurbsPatchSolid.x3d         -- demonstrated defining an inside and outside of patch, inside is transparent
The good rendering of the solid example and the image texture example shows that the mapping of the parametric coordinate axes (u,v) onto the surface is in agreement with that used by the Xj3D browser, the Octaga browser, and the BS Contact browser.

2. The NurbsTrimmedSurface is not fully rendered, those surfaces are treated as NurbsPatchSurface nodes (and so are not modified by the trimming contour in the model). The example from the Web3D examples is:
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/NURBS/NurbsTrimmedSurface.x3d
When a NurbsTrimmedSurface is loaded, view3dscene generates a warning:
"Unknown X3D field name (indicated by containerField value) "geometry" by node "NurbsCurve2D" inside node "Contour2D"
This is spurious, the nodes in the examples follow the v 3.2 specs for the NURBS component: http://www.web3d.org/files/specifications/19775-1/V3.2/Part01/components/nurbs.html

Vince Marchetti

view3dscene