[X3D-Public] Support for submeshes?

Tony Parisi tparisi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:07:27 PST 2013

Maybe I'm confused, but the point of submesh materials is that there is
only one set of coordinates and indices, but there are multiple materials.
So it's more like you need just a new kind of Material node, MultiMaterial,
that has a set  of materials, and the lists of indices for each material.
Something like

MultiMaterial : X3DMaterialNode
{
  MFNode material          [ ]  [X3DMaterialNode]
  MFNode materialMap   [ ]  [MaterialMap]
}

MaterialMap {
  SFInt32 materialIndex  0  [0..65535]
  MFInt32 faceIndex       [ ] [0..65535]
}

materialIndex identifies which material from the containing MultiMaterial
node;
faceIndex is a list of indices into the one mesh defined by the containing
Shape node's geometry

Tony

Tony Parisi                             tparisi at gmail.com
CTO at Large                         415.902.8002
Skype                                     auradeluxe
Follow me on Twitter!             http://twitter.com/auradeluxe
Read my blog at                     http://www.tonyparisi.com/

Read my book! *WebGL, Up and Running*
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024729.do