[X3D-Public] AMF - Amf Editor

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Aug 19 11:47:30 PDT 2014

The CAD working group has been looking at Additive Manufacturing File Format (AMF) as a way to further speed the growing utility of X3D as an output format for 3D printers.

Today I found the following resource via the Wikipedia entry for AMF, then the AMF Wiki.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_Manufacturing_File_Format

	http://amf.wikispaces.com/Amf+Editor

> AMF Editor
> Open source AMF editing and conversion software
> Using the open source c++ AMF Tools libraries under development at http://sourceforge.net/projects/amftools/
> (subversion repository: svn.code.sf.net/p/amftools/code/trunk - compiles with VS 2010 and g++)
> This project supports all features of the official AMF standard INCLUDING curved triangles (12-13-2012).
>
> Current features (v. 0.9.7)
> -3D viewing and arranging
> -STL import
> -Limited X3D import (for surface colors and textures)
> -Constellation (group) creation and editing
> -Material creation, editing, and assignment to objects
> -Material equations for internal material distributions
> -Slice view
> -Curved triangle support
> -Much enhance UI with fewer dialogs and more direct clicking, grouping, transformations, etc.

Given its support for all features in AMF, using open-source C++, this might significantly reduce the effort needed in the CAD group's task to create an X3D to AMF exporter.