[X3D-Public] 2D footprint with holes in X3D

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Mon Dec 15 07:19:14 PST 2014

Cris Lacumba,

There are a lot of ways to construct a polygonal representation of a
shape. The way you choose depends on what you are going to do with the
shape, how it needs to be textured, and the tools you have available for
your development. For IndexedFaceSet all of the polygons must be convex
(no "L" shaped ones). Most graphic systems will convert the IFS to
triangles, so if you want detailed control, you might want to create
your own triangles. This can be particularly important if any polygon is
a saddle point. Which way do you triangulate - top-left to bottom-right
or top-right to bottom-left.

    -1          +1
       +-------+
       |       |
       |       |
       +-------+
     +1        -1

You may also wish to look into the 2D shapes (see
http://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter10-Geometry2D/).

Vince and Doug have offered two solutions. If neither of these works for
you, please tell us more how the footprint will be used and the tools
you have available, other specific solutions can be offered.

Leonard Daly

> Hello to all,
>
> I'm trying to represent the 2D footprint of a building.However, some
> of them have patios or holes inside the footprint. (see the attachment)
> How can I represent that using IndexedFaceSet?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards
>
> Cris

*Leonard Daly*