[X3D-Public] X3D Specifications V3.3 : Comment on MFImage field.

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:19:32 PST 2014

For what it's worth, MFImage field is not used by *any* node in the
official X3D specification, at least last time I checked (X3D 3.2). In
theory some Script or PROTO/EXTERNPROTO or a shader node (like
ComposedShader) could use it, but I have not seen any example of it
yet...

This does not change the fact that encoding specifications should of
course be fixed to be consistent :)

I'm just mentioning that I would not miss the MFImage field, even if
it got removed/deprecated in future X3D version. Actually the
corresponding SFImage could be removed/deprecated too, I think, as
normal URL using "data URI scheme" is universally supported and seems
much more useful (allows to embed any data in the same way, like audio
or video or even 3d models, and allows compression).

Regards,
Michalis