[X3D-Public] flow diagrams: design patterns for EXI and XML security

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Nov 4 08:55:45 PST 2014

We had a really stimulating set of EXI meetings at W3C TPAC meeting in Santa Clara last week.  The discussions were totally helpful.  Emerging area of activity is Web of Things.  Vetted slogan from that meeting:

EXI algorithms provide high-performance XML compression capabilities, suitable for small messages all the way up to “big data” proportions. The EXI Profile provides guidance for tuning these powerful techniques to reduce memory consumption. Further work may show related ways to reduce computational overhead for improved energy consumption and endurance in power-constrained devices. This work may have global benefits as EXI helps turn the Internet of Things (IoT) into the Web of Things (WoT).

I've tried to illustrate a set of design patterns for commonly expected combinations of XML, canonical XML, EXI, XML digital signature, XML encryption, and canonical EXI.  Attached, hopefully my handwriting is decodable.  Primary techical discussion and comment will be on the EXI working group mailing list - Web3D Consortium is a member.

Am also offering these diagrams here to X3D working group to illustrate the extreme potential of our current efforts on X3D compression: integrating geometric compression, XML security (digital signature + authentication) and EXI efficiency (both compaction and performance).  What a trick.  This would ordinarily be considered impossible (for many reasons) but actually is becoming quite feasible due to the diligence and interoperability of open standards.

We are working hard to build X3D capabilities everywhere, establishing full compatibility with HTML5 as part of the Open Web Platform.  Discussion welcome on our weekly teleconference, Wednesdays at 0800 pacific.