[X3D-Public] LOD versus GeoLOD

Mike McCann mccann at mbari.org
Sun Nov 23 12:21:37 PST 2014

My recollection is that Doug's assessment is correct. The original GeoVRML GeoLOD was developed in the context of CosmoPlayer running inside Netscape Navigator and the need to manage loaded tiles in that implementation.

The quad-tree terrain data visualization enabled by GeoLOD has several issues that prevent it from being a performant way to visualize large terrain data sets.

As seen from the BVHRefiner node example, there is much room for innovation in this area...

Regards,
Mike

--
Mike McCann