[X3D-Public] [x3dom-developers] initial X3D JSON conversion support using X3dToJson.xslt

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Oct 12 11:30:18 PDT 2014

On 10/11/2014 11:27 AM, Christoph Valentin wrote:
> Hi Cecile,
>
> I do not want to disturb your discussion.

yes a lot of intriguing ideas are there!  Merci Cecile.

> Only, if you write [...]so this is more a VRML/X3D-inspired format, not "real X3D".[...], do you mean the "3D universe" will rather split into two "multiverses"?
>
> One multiverse "X3D", which does not need W3C browsers and builds "full-blown 3D" (maybe including 2D as part of the 3D scene), but 3D is the "master".
>
> Another multiverse "X3D light", which relies on W3C browsers as the "2D wrappers", as the "masters" of 3D content.
>
> Thanks for any explanation in advance
>
> Christoph

Impressions:

a. JSON defines objects and data structures, in effect a serialization that complements (and can include any aspects of) programming.

b. X3D JSON Encoding effort is seeking to find a round-trippable representation of X3D scenes compatible with .x3d .x3dv .x3db  interchange of scenes.

c. JSON (as a programming language extension) has a lot of flexibility, so we are working to find the X3D JSON representation that might best help Javascript programmers who want to load/render/write/share X3D scenes interoperably.

d. JSON (as a programming language extension) has a lot of flexibility, so there will be many many ways to do this.  One interchange form for X3D JSON does not have to prevent many variations from being useful and used.  Comparing differences is always interesting.  Therefore other forms of X3D expressed in JSON/javascript will simply be different.

So... am not sure a simple bifurcation of heavy/light will occur.  Rather am trying to create a standardizable form for interoperability while many coexisting variations might also emerge for a variety of special purposes.   Vive la différence.