[x3d-public] 3D wrong visualization

Bederov, Sergey bederov at cortona3d.com
Fri Dec 4 01:53:38 PST 2015

Hello Cris and all,

Apparently X3DOM is having problems rendering large non-convex polygons, even if convex=“false”. Try triangulating the red polygon or separating it into smaller pieces.

A note to X3DOM developers. In the source code I have found the following line:

while(linklist.length >= 3  && count < 15) {

Apparently the “15” was added to avoid infinite recursion. In fact, it is limiting the number of “ears” clipped from the non-convex polygon. If a polygon is too complex, the algorithm tessellates a number of “ears” and then stops, leaving the remaining “ears” and the interior of the polygon empty. Increasing this value to 30 renders Cris’s polygon correctly. Anyway, I think it’s not a good solution because the polygons can have arbitrary complexity. Probably a different mechanism of detecting infinite recursion should be used?

                                                                                          Sergey Bederov