[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] Setting Viewpoints - camera drifts off when moved with mouse

Leonard Daly web3d at realism.com
Wed Dec 2 07:09:51 PST 2015

This is possibly not a bug. The behavior is specifically described in
the X3D specification
(http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/navigation.html#X3DViewpointNode,
sections e&f).

When changing viewpoints, the relative offset of position and
orientation is retained and applied to the new viewpoint (some of the
time). A lot appears to depend on how the new Viewpoint came to be the
active one.

Reading through the specification, it does not seem to be particularly
clear; even though I participated in the discussion that developed this
language. I believe that this needs more clearly written. I have
submitted a comment against the specification to improve this.

Leonard Daly

*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair
Cloud Consultant