[x3d-public] Holger: trying to understand how to create valid X3D scripts that run in Cobweb and JSON conversions

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:15:59 PST 2015

More results.  I was able to view cobweb’s x3d in cobweb’s viewer.  I was not able to view instant reality’s conversion to x3d from wrl in cobweb.   The X3D -> JSON conversion failed in one place--Ee , which I will detail below.  I was not able to view either hand-corrected JSON in Cobweb.  Sad day.  Means more work on my part for the JSON loader and perhaps the X3D -> JSON converter.  Don,  I include the converted JSON (old) and hand corrected JSON for each X3D file you can diff them, or look at the diffs I include below.  You can get the original X3D from the file below, and also convert the WRL using InstantReality or a better tool. You can also run the ToJson conversion yourself, so I hope I am not tremendously violating people’s IP here by including the JSON.  Here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/master/json2x3d.js <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/master/json2x3d.js> is a driver for the JavaScript based JSON -> XML converter built into my loader, available here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/master/X3DJSONLD.js <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/master/X3DJSONLD.js>. I have made updates to my loader to work in offline mode.  Apparently, cobweb accepts indentation, so I will add indentation back to my tool soon so I can get better comparisons to original X3D.  What this all means is, we need to cross-pollinate or cross-check with each other’s tools.  We need an “InterOp” for X3D.  Where everyone gets to try everyone else’s content.  Neither X3D file generated validated with Schematron.  Thanks for your ears.  I understand that everyone has their own tools.  There are additional requirements for maintaining standards.  The internet wasn’t successful because everyone got a working LAN.

$ diff instantconverted.*json
7364c7364
<                                 "@nodeField":"Ee",
---