[x3d-public] Why Google Glass Broke - NYTimes.com

Joshua Smith jesmith at kaon.com
Wed Feb 18 08:28:23 PST 2015

Nicely said, Len.

My company is clearly a market winner in our niche (using 3D for product marketing). In the last week of January, 541 different 3D models that we have created were viewed on the web or in our mobile apps. Dozens of other companies have competed against us over the years, and all have failed.

Partly it’s a business model problem. The business model we use (creating both the viewing technology AND the 3D models) is one that Wall Street hates. You are supposed to be a viewer company (Adobe) OR a content company (Digitas). You can’t be both — that’s not something investors understand. Yet that’s exactly how my company has prospered. By being both.

This is not unprecedented, though. Look at Pixar: They made both the art (toy story) and the technology (renderman).

Look at the first successful 3D game companies: The early games had the art and technology so wrapped up together they called the engine by the name of the game! (“The Quake Engine”)

The kinds of things that everyone here is building don’t seems to lend themselves to the model of separating art from technology. It happens on the fringes: engines like Unity appear from time to time. They allow the artist to just be artists, and the technologists to just be technologists — for a while. But in the long term, they always become irrelevant. The engine companies (or engine products, like Flash 3D Stage) always fail eventually. Why is that?

One of the reasons my company has survived is because we aren’t afraid to pivot technologies. We started with a plugin. When those became untenable, we pivoted to Java. When that became untenable, we pivoted to a mix of native (on mobile) and WebGL. We adopted 3D PDF for a while, when it looked like a rising star, and dumped it when Adobe fumbled the ball.

We’ve kept our 3D models in a format that isn’t tied to one specific rendering engine. That’s part of what allowed us to pivot. We just keep making new “compilers” that convert from our meta-format into the runtime representation we need for the new viewer.

From that standpoint, what we are doing internally is probably more like Collada than it is like X3D/VRML. But since we make the art, and the compilers, and the viewers, we have nothing to gain by trying to fit into a standard instead of just rolling our own formats. And since we’re not selling our viewing technology, we have nothing to gain by trying to make our approach a standard.

(Of course we exploit standard formats to get the data out of the modeling tools. But that’s just for expedience. We immediately convert to our own meta-format and never look back.)

I’ve never found a business model for X3D/VRML that actually made sense to me. I think it’s probably survived because it’s been funded by people who didn’t need a business model. Academics. Government. Hobbyist.

-Joshua