[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] simple X3D -> JSON -> X3DOM, D3.js

Leonard Daly Leonard.Daly at realism.com
Wed Feb 18 10:11:28 PST 2015

John,

Are you aware that Don Brutzman did an initial JSON converter using a
style sheet to go from .x3d -> x3d-json. The description is at
http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_JSON_Encoding. The code is at
sourceforge (link in the wiki page), and has been added to X3D-Edit.

Yvonne Jung developed a JSON loader for X3DOM. You can see an example at
http://www.x3dom.org/x3dom/test/functional/flipper.html.

The initial work was completed last October. The wiki page lists several
considerations. The Consortium is considering standardizing the JSON
format. We would like everyone's comments and thoughts on the work that
has been done, particularly where there are shortcomings or failures.

Ultimately, the license choice is yours; however, which one you choose
depends on what you what to happen with it. A very public use license
will allow others to take what you have done and incorporate it into
anything and resell it. If you are not careful with the name, your name
could be co-opted too. If you want contributions to remain as
open-source, than a GPL-type license might be the right choice.
Wikipedia has a good starting page on software licenses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license (Free license comparisons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licenses).
Until you figure it out, I recommend that you be restrictive and only
let people use it exactly as is (since you already put it out for public
use).

Leonard Daly

On 2/18/2015 9:23 AM, John Carlson wrote:
> I have created a converter which will convert simple X3D (one file, no
> scripts) to JSON, and then to JavaScript for inclusion into an X3DOM
> D3 application.  There is a Java file to converted XML to JSON (fairly
> generic), and then a Node.js app to convert the JSON to JavaScript.
> This should work in chrome.  I am looking to extend it to other
> browsers if possible.  Comments and contributions are welcome.   If
> possible, someone could create an XSLT stylesheet to do something
> similar based on my example.  See attached.   Also let me know what
> kind of license I should use.

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=190641631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

*Leonard Daly*
X3D Co-Chair