[x3d-public] [x3dom-developers] ElevationGrid for the modern age

Dave A dave at realmofconcepts.com
Tue Jan 27 21:28:02 PST 2015

Michalis, that's a good analysis. The technicalities of actually doing
the ops is a bit detailed for me, which gets me back to wanting to
specify this more semantically. Which is why I like Fraunhofer's 'common
surface shader' for a great deal of the things most of us need it for. I
can say 'bumpmap' and it does that, I don't have to know how to multiply
normals or whatnot. That's too much like deconstructing the scene for
the hardware, and then I might as well be using Three.js. But it IS
handy to have that power.

What I'm leaning toward is a syntax which is XML-compliant that would
allow easy binding to custom shaders. I think x3dom is close to that,
but if I'm not mistaken, the way textures are supplied to a shader is a)
order dependent, and b) not at all explicit. So I'd like to add a couple
of fields to take away that ambiguity, or at least, make it more obvious
(that is, easier to follow) for the author.

So I'll put out what I come up with, when I get it working. Hopefully by
end of week.

Dave Arendash

Follow me! @thatvrguy